A Christian’s heavenly journey with his feet on the ground. Treasures shared that are discovered along the way.
Please note that this blog has now moved to: "Senior Eagle walking with Father"

Monday, January 07, 2008

The River of Life

Watching our grandchildren cavorting about in the swimming pool or ocean, reminds me how from an early age, water has fascinated me. I was never happier than when I was paddling, fishing, rowing or sailing or just messing about in the water.

I have never been a strong swimmer, so usually keep a toe on the bottom to feel secure. One beautiful sunny day however, I was tempted way out of my depth and was so enjoying myself that I hadn't realised how cold I'd become. Hypothermia began to set in, strength was draining from my limbs and I started to lose consciousness. I felt I was going to drown, so in desperation I called out to God. To this day I can't explain how it happened, but as I surrendered I was somehow carried back to the shore by the currents. He loved me too much to let me drown.

In Ezekiel chapter 47 we hear of the River of Life, the abundant life and blessings that flow from Jesus. In verse 6 we are asked to note and seemingly ponder on what we have been shown, so I offer my considerations:

Shallow water: When we first start to respond to hearing the Gospel we may stick a tentative toe in the water, before making up our mind to enter with both feet. This is the start of a life-changing love relationship, with much splashing around in the shallows, revelling in the delight of belonging to Jesus. It's also a time to drink in the living water of His Word.

Deeper water: Eventually the honeymoon begins to fade. We may try to relive or revive the experience or seek fulfilment in some activity, but it doesn't satisfy the longing for more. God does not force us out of the shallows, but as He sees the desire in our hearts He draws us and beckons us to go deeper. As we respond and move deeper, we are challenged, but also thrilled at the answers we receive from our prayers and so move into a closer walk with God.

Out of our depth: Sooner or later we may find ourselves in a situation where we are completely out of our depth. Perhaps because we have stepped out in faith on some project or because God has allowed circumstances that are beyond our control. Either way we come to en end of our human resources, where we either sink or swim. This can be terrifying, but as we surrender to God we experience absolute succour. This is where He wants us, totally immersed in His love and dependant upon him.

Let's get into the flow for the abundant life.

"- and then led me through water that was ankle-deep. He measured off another thousand cubits and led me through water that was knee-deep. He measured off another thousand and led me through water that was up to the waist. He measured off another thousand, but now it was a river that I could not cross, because the water had risen and was deep enough to swim in—a river that no one could cross. He asked me, "Son of man, do you see this?" Ezekiel 47 but especially verses 3-6 New International Version

0 comments :