A Christian’s heavenly journey with his feet on the ground. Treasures shared that are discovered along the way.
Please note that this blog has now moved to: "Senior Eagle walking with Father"

Saturday, March 29, 2008

The Master Builder

I'm quite handy, so when we needed to alter the lighting in our living room, I decided to do it myself.

I climbed into the loft and checked out the circuits to make sure I knew what was what. Everything seemed to be going fine, except that there was more to it than I expected and I was running late. When I came to switch the power back on the fuse blew, so I double checked. The fuse blew again. I mulled over what I had done and could see nothing wrong. I kept going through it over and over in my mind, until I couldn't switch off - pardon the pun. In the end, feeling washed out, I had to leave it, without lights in part of the house.


I called an electrician the next morning and amazingly, he came in under two hours. He checked everything through and said there was nothing wrong, I'd done a good job. However, further investigation discovered a completely unrelated coincidental problem, that he put right.

Now all this may seem unimportant, but I had something to learn, because God is into small things. It wasn’t the fact I had done it wrong, but I had not done it God’s way. I may be able to do a variety of things, but God made me for a specific purpose. That evening we had a very important 'God-arranged' appointment and that was my top priority. In the event everything went fine, but only just!

I used to quote this verse "If the Lord builds the house - " thinking that so long as you are a Christian that's all that's needed. But of course it has to be worked out, we have to walk the walk. If we put God first in complete surrender, so that He is in control of our marriages, families and relationships, then we open ourselves to His magnificent efficient provision, otherwise we wear ourselves out to no avail.

It's the same in church life. Some years ago mission events and activities had been held in our area. Although they were well organised and had been successful on other cities, they were not working for us. They were not bearing fruit. Several of us met in prayer to seek what God had to say about it. The reply came loud and clear, that God was not in our good ideas:

"You have worn yourselves out doing it your way, now let it all go and try My way!"

"Unless the LORD builds the house, its builders labour in vain. Unless the LORD watches over the city, the watchmen stand guard in vain. In vain you rise early and stay up late, toiling for food to eat — for he grants sleep to those he loves." Psalm 127:1-2 New International Version

0 comments :