A Christian’s heavenly journey with his feet on the ground. Treasures shared that are discovered along the way.
Please note that this blog has now moved to: "Senior Eagle walking with Father"

Monday, August 06, 2007

What is Church?

“For where two or three come together in my name, I am there with them." (Matthew 18:20 GNB)


The Church, sometimes called “the Body of Christ,” has many forms and expressions, which are frequently the subject of hot debate. We can however, be so taken up with these very discussions, activities and committees, as to be in danger of being diverted away from the true meaning.


When, some years after we first became Christians, my wife and I attended a conference, there was a last minute change of speaker. He was well known and respected within church circles, but I was apprehensive. I feared that he was going to bombard us with traditions and church practices. I didn’t want anymore of what I called ‘churchianity.’ I was looking for reality, life in the Spirit.


On the first evening, we were each given a blank sheet of paper and instructed to mark a blob in the centre, representing ourselves. Around that mark, we were to place further blobs, of appropriate size and closeness. One for each each Christian with whom we could be real, share anything with and feel accepted; someone from whom we could even accept admonishment.


When all was done, he suggested that those marks, no matter how few, represented a form of ‘church’ for each of us. I received this like a breath of fresh air. He had cut through all religious trappings and taken us to the scriptural grass roots.


I have since found that when there is a coming together of those of like mind, no matter how informal, where hearts are really open to God and each other, God is given the freedom to act and move amongst us, often in unexpected ways. This transcends church structure and cannot be organised, but just happens. Precious!

4 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    This is really refreshing to read! I have found all your posts so helpful. The church I attend is young - in lifetime, christian maturity and membership age. It's nice to hear notes made through experience. Thank You!!

  2. wayfarerjon said...

    Yes, it was like a breath of fresh air when I first heard this. Thanls for your comments.

  3. Main Link For Your Photo Meme And Spiritual Haiku said...

    You said -"I have since found that when there is a coming together of those of like mind, no matter how informal, where hearts are really open to God and each other, God is given the freedom to act and move amongst us"...Great post-

  4. Anonymous said...

    Great post. It is astonishing to see how God pulls His people together. Even those you have never physically met, like through the internet.

    Blessings
    Dave