A Christian’s heavenly journey with his feet on the ground. Treasures shared that are discovered along the way.
Please note that this blog has now moved to: "Senior Eagle walking with Father"

Saturday, January 26, 2008

Gossip That Spoils

A friend phoned us recently to say that he had been really hurt by gossip. I felt for them as I know what it feels like.

When we first moved into our present home, a washing machine was included in the transaction. As we already had one, we placed a card in the local store, offering it for sale. It soon got round the village that we were going to move again, as we didn't like the place. That's harmless enough and in a way it's the sort of thing that goes with the territory in a small community. Not the sort of behaviour you would expect from Christians though.

Years ago, I spoke in confidence with a Christian, believing it to be entirely safe and would go no further. However weeks later it came back to me in a rather vindictive way, through someone else. I found this upsetting at the time, but after the initial surprise I wasn't so concerned about what had been said, as to the potential damage to the relationship. Trust had been broken and I wanted to do what I could from my side to restore that if possible.

Unfortunately gossip is still prevalent within the Church in some quarters. I am aware that it is so easy to get drawn into a gossip conversation. There is the temptation to respond in like manner. Perhaps it's because I feel I don't want to be left out and want to air my superior knowledge, to give me some sort of authority. My answer is to refuse to listen to such talk and avoid it like the plague.

Gossip can grow like a destructive cancer and spoil fellowships, groups and communities. Let's be gracious in our relationships and speak to bless.

“He gossips habitually; he lacks the common wisdom to keep still that deadly enemy of man, his own tongue." Mark Twain

“A real Christian is the one who can give his pet parrot to the town gossip” Billy Graham

"Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be." James 3:10 New International Version

"What causes fights and quarrels among you? Don't they come from your desires that battle within you?" James 4:1 New International Version

2 comments :

  1. Anonymous said...

    Where I see gossip most readily is in the form of prayer requests. Really sad.

  2. wayfarerjon said...

    Yes I agree. We need wisdom in who we share with and what we share. If we really care we would be much more careful.